    SF> On Tue, 5 Feb 2002 09:33:30 -0600
    SF> "Austad, Jay" <austad at marketwatch.com> wrote:

    >> Please don't use smoothwall.  Among other problems, one of the
    >> developers
    >> installed a backdoor in it awhile back.  After people figured it out, he
    >> was
    >> kicked out of the development group.  2 weeks later they let him back in
    >> because he said someone hacked his machine and put it in acting as him.
    >> Even if that is true, if someone can break into his box and put
    >> backdoors in
    >> smoothwall, it's certainly not something I would use.
    >>
    >> Read their mailing list archives.  Of course, that whole thread may have
    >> been removed by Dick Morrell the lead dictator/developer.
    >>
    >> jay

    SF> Jay,
    SF>   Aside from smoothwall, what other firewall would you recommend?
    SF> Everything that I seem to be reading about Smoothwall is turning it sour.
    SF> It's still at the 2.2 kernel, and I'd like to move up to the 2.4 kernel.
    SF> I tried to build my own firewall, however, I lacked the time to really
    SF> devote to a project of that tasking.

I've been happily using coyote linux.  It's also at the 2.2 kernel
level, but seems to work fine for my application (small home
network).  I considered changing to smoothwall, but coyote was working
fine, so never did.

If there's a reason why I *shouldn't* be using coyote, I'd be
interested to hear....