On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 11:11:38AM -0600, Dave Sherman wrote:
> In the process of securing my systems at home: DSL, static IP, Cisco
> 678.
>
> I was told by a Qwest tech that if I set no 'enable' password in the
> router, then it will automatically disable telnet to the external
> interface. However, it would seem that this is untrue, because I can
> telnet into the router's external interface.

Yep.  You have to disable telnet from the enabled prompt. ;-)  Open up
your owner's manual and read the instructions. ;-)  IIRC, it's something
like "set telnet disable".  I would also recommend setting the remote IP
as 127.0.0.1, just as an extra precaution.  I don't trust Cisco much.
The 675/8 series has been known to have problems.  I would also do the
same for the web interface.  Even when the web interface is disabled,
your router still tries to answer HTTP requests.  Set the web interface
remote IP to 127.0.0.1, and the port to something other than 80 or 8080.

Also, don't listen to Qwest tech support.  They have no clue what
they're talking about.  You'll rarely find a clueful person there, but
when you do, write down their name and extension.  Keep it like the
treasure it is.

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie
Get my public key, ICQ#, etc. $(mailx -s 'get info' chewie at wookimus.net)