On Mon, 2002-02-04 at 23:05, Dan Churchill wrote:

> Since I generally use flags to keep track of messages of interest that I
> want to save or come back to, it was an annoyance to have to clear the flag
> on every one of your messages.  Now, I'm afraid, there will be more than
> just yours to deal with...hehe.  Anyway, keep it or not...makes no
> difference to me.  The fact that I'm fairly certain that more than just
> yours will be sent with the flag set from here on out (Florin's already
> stated as much...) led me to look into the Rules Wizard options, where one
> of the action choices is "Clear message flag".  So, knock yourselves out
> guys.

Sorry, had to throw in 2 cents on this one. :)

Dan writes a very nice email. I found myself thinking "that's a
reasonable argument" as I read it. But (sensed that coming, right?),
isn't the real problem here an Outlook bug? I guess you ('you'
generally, not specifically) could point at Bob and say "quit exploiting
that bug, you meanie," but why shouldn't Bob be allowed to put whatever
he wants to in that header? (Unless I misunderstood the RFC snippet
posted earlier.)
Dan's done the stand-up thing and figured out a workaround for the bug,
but the people that flamed Bob should be shouting at Microsoft, not Bob.
That's the closest thing I could find to a bug reporting page at
Microsoft's website (I didn't spend much time looking, to be honest).
(You'd think they'd have a bug-reporting link in bold, flashing text on
the main page - *wink*)

(ok, so it does seem like Bob's intention was to have fun with the
Outlook users, but I guess my point is that it's possible for someone to
use those headers without having that intention...what then? Shout at
them or at Microsoft?)