Quoting Chad Juettner (chad at bitstream.net):
> > What do I need to do to convince Internet Explorer to accept
> > an SSL certificate from a website that has been
> > self-generated and not bought from Verisign, Thawte, etc.?
> > Mozilla/Netscape will prompt you and ask if you still want to
> > connect, but IE just decides to stop and prevents the page
> > from loading (well, I most recently saw it on IE on MacOSX,
> > but I think it happens on Windows boxes as well).

First, IE sucks! :-)

Second, there is a known bug in IE dealing with SSL.

Third, here is the hack to make IE work.

<VirtualHost www.company.com:443>
  SSLEngine on
  SSLCertificateFile /etc/httpd/certs/www.comany.com.crt
  SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/httpd/certs/www.company.com.key
  SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE.*" \
        nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown \
        downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0
  SSLCipherSuite ALL:!ADH:!EXPORT56:RC4+RSA:+HIGH:+MEDIUM:+LOW:+SSLv2:+EXP
  SSLProtocol all -SSLv3
</VirtualHost>
--
Minneapolis St. Paul Twin Cities MN        | Phone : (952)943-8700
http://www.mn-linux.org Minnesota Linux    | Fax   : (952)943-8500