On Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 01:10:50AM -0600, Rodd Ahrenstorff wrote:
> On Monday 04 February 2002 11:27 am, John J. Trammell wrote:
> > I agree.  Any TCPC members who want to "join" (whatever that means)
> > the LUG can do so, and likewise I presume.  No need to make any sort
> > of formal arrangement between the two.
>
> One negative aspect concerning TCLUG is it's comlete lack of formality as
> concerns the nonprofit status and so forth.  Could TCPC better serve new
> Linux users than TCLUG if they were to add a Linux SIG to their already
> impressive list of 15 SIGs?

SIG= Special Interest Group? But what does formality buy in
exchange for loss of flexibility? What does TCPC that warrants
formal entanglement?

> I see three primary benefits TCLUG provides to new users at no cost (and
> there are probably others):
>
> 1. Mail list
> 2. Install Fest
> 3. A wealth of knowledge given freely by very experienced members.
   At the very least you have to include
  4. Regular meetings.

> The downfalls are (and there may be more):
>
> 1. No BOD, By-laws, and lacking nonprofit status.

BOD = Board of directors?  How are these things negatives?  What
advantages would there be to having a more formal organization?
Someone has been working on the non-profit issue, but I have yet
to see any strong arguments for a more hierarchical LUG.  Being
unorganized has its advantages.

> 2. No regularly scheduled discussion group (except beer meetings).  This
> seems to contribute to little followup learning after the install
> fest...kinda like "I got linux installed...now what?"

So, what are you looking for? Meetings more than once a month?
Monthly newby meetings to go along with the regular monthly
meetings?  Meetings can be a bear to organize.

> 3. For whatever reason, I don't see much involvement in TCLUG by new Linux
> users concerning the direction of our LUG.

You seem to be involved.  How about some more specific ideas on
what direction you'd like?  I'm happy with our current
directionlessness ;) .