> I am running Mandrake 8.1 with ipop3sd installed and the service is
> enabled on demand.  According to the Doc's from Mandrake all I should
> have to do is edit the inetd.conf file and restart inetd.

I belive that Mandrake uses xinetd by default.  They both perform the same
function, just have a different approach.  To find out, take a look in the
/etc/rc*.d directorys, and if you see something like S10inetd or S10xinetd
then you should be able to tell.  I think the easiest way to do that is

  ls /etc/rc*.d/S*inetd

If you are running xinetd, take a look at the documentation (man pages) to
see if you can figure it out.

> Unfortunately inetd in not running or configured but appears to be
> installed. As I am still learn Linux, I am not familiar with inetd.  Any
> help would be great!

inetd and xinetd work as a superserver.  That is, insetead of having the
actual deamon (service) running all the time, (x)inetd listens instead, and
when it gets a connection on a port, it spawns off the deamon required for
it.  This allows some security checks/logging and other bennifits (as well as
some drawbacks in certain cases)

--
Jay Kline
list at slushpupie.com
http://www.slushpupie.com
--
And do you think (fop that I am) that I could be the Scarlet Pumpernickel?