Why  not do some guerilla investigating, and get a rough estimate of how much cost is going into the current LAN, and what the savings would be under LINUX, and prepare a presentation for the local gov't body's board of administrators if you get any more grief about it from the LAN admin mgmt?
On Sat, Jan 12, 2002 at 10:50:11AM -0600, Glenn McDavid wrote:

> Quite right.  Furthermore, he may not be in a position to advocate
> Linux there.  I work for another local government and I know somebody
> there who got reprimanded for advocating Linux and was forbidden from
> giving a presentation about Linux at the Departmental education forum.
> The LAN admin management will not discuss any alternative to Microsoft.
> A few of us meet quietly sometimes and try to think of ways around this
> formidable obstacle :-(>

Hrm.  Not to sow the seeds of discord, but how "forbidden" are we
talking?  If one were a big enough troublemaker, one might be able to
turn this into a First Amendment issue.  I wonder if PFAW or ACLU
might not have something to say about it.

I raise this issue because you say it's a government agency.  They
obviously do have some control over what people are allowed to bring
to meetings, but it might be possible to show that if you define the
issue enough, they have violated his right to express an opinion.