On Friday 01 February 2002 4:52 pm, Samir M. Nassar wrote:
> Hmm, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have more Linux venues.

The more the better!  Increase awareness and education.

> Let me advocate for the Linux virgins. The TCLUG seems like it deals with
> more technical aspects, and issues that really go over the head of the
> individual user.

You mean "individual newbie" :)

> Having Linux seminars at PCUG would be a good idea for newbies and for
> people thinking about making the jump from MicroCrap to Linux. Or the LUG
> starts thinking about starting monthly meetings that are more heavily
> advertised geared to Linux newbies and Linux virgins.

The question must be brought: Why not invite those interested from PCUG to
the Linux Install fest and give a seminar to those attendies.  Or create a
new meeting agenda for new users migrating from Windows.  It will eventually
be a necessary addition IMHO.  I really do appreciate the efforts of Terry to
introduce Linux to new users, but what's wrong with bringing these same
people into the Linux fold by attending a TCLUG meeting.  After all, TCLUG
stands for Twin Cities Linux Users Group, newbie or guru.  Linux is not all
about Admin duties anymore.

I would add that the TCLUG is not catagorized as a non-profit org.  Unless
this has changed without my knowledge.  Officially there are no officers,
treasurer, or president etc...  I know some investigation had been done into
this area, but I am unaware of any outcome.

Fellow members; with the eventual additions to our LUG, I believe the
official (legal) organization of this group is growing in importance.  Anyone
care to share their thoughts?  Hell, my Toyota 4x4 club is a non-profit!

> It might also be interesting to find funding from various foundations for
> computer education. We might be able to ties this in with the recession. It
> is one thing to expect the Linux experts to give their time to the Linux
> community, but expansion needs finances.

I have found the members of this LUG to be very helpful in all instances.  I
don't think anyone has a lot money to throw around, but I'm sure members
would fund those needs as seen beneficial to the group.  Besides my donation
for pizza, I have not donated one dime to this LUG.  I'm certainly willing to
however.  But no concerted call has been made.  The more reason to organize
as I see it.

My .02 cents at 1:30 am...after a Morgan&Coke!  Time to go nigh night...