Shawn Fertch writes:
 > On Tue, 3 Dec 2002 20:40:37 -0600
 > rpgoldman at real-time.com wrote:
 >
 > > Daniel Taylor writes:
 > >  > On Tue, 3 Dec 2002 rpgoldman at real-time.com wrote:
 > >  >
 > >  > >
 > >  > > I just picked up a spindle of 4x Memorex CD-RWs.  When I try to
 > >  > > write them, cdrecord just grumbles that they're the wrong disk.
 > >  > > But my machine and CD-RW drive are pretty new, so I think it
 > >  > > should be ok. Any thoughts?  Is this a cdrecord issue, or is it
 > >  > > likely to be my drive?
 > >  > >
 > >  > Shiny side up? Or are they more clearly marked than that?
 > >
 > > Pretty clearly marked actually.  Nice try :-)
 > >

 > Just a thought, but I recall someone saying they had some issues
 > with PNY cd's.  eing these are older 4x discs, I wonder if by
 > chance you might be runnin into the same problem?  I saw you
 > mentioned that you used an older disc and it worked fine, it was a
 > 640MB right?
 >
 > Another thought, any chance that this burner or software doesn't
 > know how to recognize 700MB CD-R/W formatting (if there's a
 > difference?)?

Thanks.  Looks to me as if the 700 MB R/Ws violate the standards and
try to fit too much on.  Many drives seem to have this problem (see my
previous email with quote from TDK person.

Anyway, seems like people should stay away from these unless they're
sure they'll be compatible.  I'm gonna go try to find some 640s....