On Thursday 29 August 2002 05:32, Shawn Fertch wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Aug 2002 22:14:03 -0500
>
> Jack Ungerleider <jack at jacku.com> wrote:
> > If I remember correctly SuSE 8.0 installs lpr-ng as the print handler by
> > default. What you want to do is go into YAST and load the cups packages.
> > Here's a listing of the cups releated packages on my SuSE 8.0 system.
>
> I'm working on getting a printer going on one of my Slackware systems and
> am looking at cups as well.  I've skimmed through a couple of printer
> how-tos, but they only mention cups in passing.  Any ideas on where I can
> find a good step-by-step directions on how to set it up?
>
> I'm using an HP-Deskjet 960c that's connected to an HP-JetDirect 170x box.

Slack 8.1 has CUPS as an extra package.  Maby you could use some of that?
I have cups running on Slack 8.0 currently and found that the only thing I
did differently was some of the security for the web interface.  I would have
to do some digging to remember what.  Other than that, I installed CUPS from
source using the readme in the tarball.

Kelly Black
KB0GBJ