On Wednesday 28 August 2002 15:58, pt becker wrote:
> Hi there
> I recently installed SUSE 8.0 on new box, the install went smooth and I
> have been tweaking on it for the last few days. I hope this isn't too
> simple of a question or an - oh crap I should have known that kind of
> question - because I have a few of these newbie questions. Anyways, with
> the install YAST did recognized my printer (HP OfficeJet 570),
> however,  YAST recognized it as gray scale (black & white) and the
> printer is a color printer. You know - its like I'm  watching TV and the
> screen is black & white when I have a decent color TV. Please point me
> in the  direction so I can send color to my printer, if you need more
> info on my box let me know.
> Thanks in advance - Pete

If I remember correctly SuSE 8.0 installs lpr-ng as the print handler by
default. What you want to do is go into YAST and load the cups packages.
Here's a listing of the cups releated packages on my SuSE 8.0 system.

cups-libs-1.1.12-69
yast2-agent-cups-2.5.6-31
yast2-config-cups-2.5.16-7
cups-client-1.1.12-69
cups-1.1.12-69
qtcups-2.0-319
yast2-trans-cups-2.5.14-8
cups-drivers-1.1.10-78

I'm running KDE and like qtcups as a printer control, you may not.
The yast2-* packages give you the ability to setup and control in YAST.
The drivers package will have additional drivers. If your printer is not
listed do some web searching. Many of the OfficeJets will work with color
DeskJet 550C driver.

--
Jack Ungerleider
jack at jacku.com