On Tuesday 27 August 2002 10:31 pm, you wrote:

> I but I'm
> having trouble getting as much as a ping between the two boxes.

Jeff, can you ping your local host (ping 127.0.0.1), if so work your
way out form there. Next ping your own ip address, and so on.  This
will tell you where your problem is.

> I've modified /etc/hosts, /etc/host.conf, and
> /etc/sysconfig/network.

Double check everything.  How have you modified the files?

> I've scoured the internet and several books

Linux System Administration, A User's Guide  (ISBN 0-201-71934-7) by
Marcel Gagne is a very good and easy reading book.

--
cYa

John

Don't give up.  DON'T EVER GIVE UP!!!