Quoting Brian (lxy at cloudnet.com):
> On Mon, 26 Aug 2002, Bob Tanner wrote:
>
> > How big is your network :-)
>
> 500 clients, 15 servers, running a combo of IP/IPX
                                                 ^^^ ewww!

> > Netsaint's conf file makes terrible. It makes sendmail.cf look like "My first
> > ABC books".
>
> Awww crap.... :-)

Check out www.netsaint.org, there are a couple tools, but like most front-ends,
they don't give the flexibility we needed at Real Time.

> I need a tool (or suite of tools, if need be) to monitor things.  For
> one, I need to monitor the traffic and find out why our 100 Mbit switched
> network is SO FREAKING SLOW.  I also need a tool to monitor various pieces
> of networking hardware (servers, switches, routers, etc) so if a link goes
> down, we can troubleshoot it quickly.  I think Netsaint will accomplish
> the latter, complete with pretty GUI.  Any ideas on the former?  I'm
> messing with Ethereal, seems to do a nice job at telling me what's out
> there at least.

My guess would be you have some ports half duplex and other full duplex. Lots of
tardo cards can't negotiate.

The best tool for all of the above is opennms, imho. It's (now) easy to install
(ala Ximian GNOME-like lynx -source http://install.opennms.org | sh). Had a
great front-end (all web based using jsp).

It's large application, with a high learning curve. MIBs, MIB compilers, etc.
Are things most people have no experience using.

The worse thing is about opennms is you need a heft box to run it. Your network
would take something in 1G RAM, athlon, 80G disk range, imho.

--
Bob Tanner <tanner at real-time.com>         | Phone : (952)943-8700
http://www.mn-linux.org, Minnesota, Linux | Fax   : (952)943-8500