[replying to both]

On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 02:58:02AM -0500, Phil Doroff wrote:
> Hrm, keep the list updated as to whether you actually hit deep into swap or
> not..
>
> I'm betting on no.  I've never seen a linux system that was using a ton of
> swap that wasn't absolutely I/O bound and literally useless for anything.
> (like, 40 minute ssh login times and the like).

I was actually using 2 gigs worth of swap the other day without any problems,
I was generating a *HUGE* pdf file, the system was perfectly usable.

(I do believe i showed some of those to you phil =)

> I'm sure however, there are specific instances where huge swap is useful.
> Since I almost exclusively use linux in an ISP server role (apache,
> sendmail, mysql, etc.) I've not run across any of these in the real world.
>
> So, we keep swap to 512MB.  The reasoning behind it beind that if we're
> needing more than 512, the system is allready too screwed to be fixed, and
> will just need the reboot anyways.  (these are webservers with 512 to 1.5GB
> of ram in them)

That's appropriate for your system because /just about/ everything that's running
that *could* be swapped, shouldn't be.

> -Phil
>

> > Um. Dunno where you got 128M + 256Mswap from. I've got 1gig physical plus
> > 1.6gig swap.

I made it up, the point was that you can't always get the amount of physical
ram that you'll need in a system, swap is meant to make up the difference with
a little buffer zone for the unexpected spikes.

In a perfect world you've always got enough RAM, and don't need swap, in the
real world you sometimes need 1G of total memory on a system that only has
256M of ram, which would mean that 256M physical + 512M virtual is not enough.