I've got a Compaq the does pretty much the same thing.  The touchpad does
not work so i plug a usb mouse into it.

when it goes into standby or when the screen shuts off the mouse cursor
disappears in X.  I think the cursor still moves when moving the mouse
because i can see some buttons raise when it goes over them.

to get it back i just go to a terminal by hitting ctl+alt+F1 and then
back to X again and that resolves it until the next powersaving
cycle.

This is all running redhat 7.3 with kde 3