This is common in the construction industry, I always thought it was a
matter of time before it spread to others as well..  I for one, have done a
small amount of IT consulting work, and never had a clause like this in it.

However, I have worked for small companies where it was understood I would
not be paid until they were.  But for those I was well-understanding of this
fact.

-Phil