On Tue, 2002-08-20 at 20:34, Dave Sherman wrote:

> That said, though, I was *really* trying to show the individual that it
> would be better to completely remove unneeded (and inwanted) services,
> than to simply disable them. Thus my instructions about rpm. If he's
> running an embedded system, he should really pare the system down to the
> bare essentials of what he needs, rather than go with a default Red Hat
> install with many services disabled.

Well, one reason you might want a service disabled instead of removed is
if you need to use it only at certain times.  For instance, I have Samba
installed but don't have it start at boot-up.  The only time I need to
use Samba is to access shares from a Windows box.  So I'll only start
Samba if I need to access it from a Windows box, which is rare.

> Actually, this philosophy applies
> just as well for any system: completely remove any services you know you
> won't need, in order to save disk space, processor time, RAM usage, and
> other resources. Put simply, "Trim the fat!"

And most of all, for security sake.

--
Brent Metzler					| AIM: bmetzl1999
brent at bmetzler.org				| Y! : bmetzl1999