The reason my system wouldn't boot was because I hadn't recompiled
the modules, and I'd neglected to set support for ext3. I've got that
worked out, and the system boots, but I still get this error when I try to
load my "experimental" module:

bash-2.05# insmod hello2.o
hello2.o: kernel-module version mismatch
	hello2.o was compiled for kernel version 2.4.2-2
	while this kernel is version 2.4.19.

    I am having a hard time finding documentation that will tell me how to
determine whether or not the initrd image I am using has unversioned
modules. Do you know how I may be able to tell?

    I thought I would try disabling initrd but every time I try to disable
it in lilo.conf I get a syntax error. This is what I am putting in:

   image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.19
        label=latest
        read-only
        noinitrd
        root=/dev/hda1

    ...but I keep getting a syntax error when I try to set that option.

               - Jamie