"Randy Clarksean" <rclark at lakesplus.com> writes:

> I have downloaded and installed SSH Secure Shell (non-commercial
> version) for Win2000.  I want to use it to log onto my Linux Server,
> transfer files, etc.  I have no problems logging in with my Linux
> user name and password.  I "thought" I should be able to ssh to the
> Linux box and login without having to use a password every time.
>
> On the linux box (RH7.2) I have sshd running.  I have fun the PC
> version, generated public and private keys, uploaded the public key
> to my acct, and it still asks for the password.
>
> Fundamentally, what am I missing here?  I am assuming I have
> something setup improperly on the Linux box that requires me to use
> additional authentication.  I have examined the sshd_config and
> ssh_config ... not sure what I should have there.

Nope, that's working normally.

If you want you can add public key authentication, and place your
public identity in the Linux box, and *then* you will be able to log
in without further authentication from a system you have the private
key for that identity on.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net  /  New TMDA anti-spam in test
 John Dyer-Bennet 1915-2002 Memorial Site http://john.dyer-bennet.net