[I tried posting this once before, but I didn't see it on the archives or digest mailings, so I am resubmitting it.]

I have an AlphaServer 300 4/266 with no hard drive.  The machine powers up, and seems to be running ok, but I don't have the root password.  (I think it is running Tru64 Unix.)

My question is about the hard drive - the box doesn't have one, and I'm not so familiar with scsi hard drives.

I found a spec sheet for this model online, which says that the internal scsi controller is a:
fast narrow single edged scsi-2 controller with dma

The hard drives that could be ordered for this box were:
PBXRZ-EB 1.05 GB 8-bit narrow 5400 RPM 3.5 x 1" SCSI hard disk drive (RZ26N)
PBXRZ-JC 2.1 GB 8-bit narrow 7200 RPM 3.5 x 1" SCSI disk drive (RZ28L)
PBXRZ-NB 4.3 GB 8-bit narrow 7200 RPM 3.5 x 1" SCSI hard disk drive (RZ29L)

Could someone with scsi hardware experience point me toward a cable for this beast?  I don't know the scsi variations to know what I need.  Also, any suggestions on used drives that would work would be appreciated.  I primarily want to get the machine running to see how it performs as a server (the spec says it has 2mb of secondary cache), and because I first learned "real" programming on a DEC (a pdp11-23 ;)

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Brent Friedman

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com