On Thursday 15 August 2002 7:15 am, scotty at cloudnet.com wrote:
> Help, I messed up.
>
> I have a dual boot workstation with Redhat 7.2 and W2k.  Yesterday I
> applied sp3 to W2k and ran Partition Magic's drive mapper (changing the
> mapping of the a W2k drive from an E to G).  Now I can not start RedHat.

Is this all on one drive? Or multiple drives? Where is Linux installed on the
drive?

>   I get a message stating;
>
> 	Kernel panic: No init found.
> 	Try passing init= option to kernel

I got this error once when I forgot to put in the initrd image. I think it can
also happen when you use initrd, and / cant be mounted (is this correct?)

> I have tried the linux rescue option on the install disk.  I have looked
> at my lilo.conf and tried to run lilo but I get a message that states
> that it can not find /etc/lilo.conf even after running 'chroot
> /mnt/sysimage'.
>
> What suggestions do you have?  Do I hve to reinstall the OS?

I assume that since you took a look at the file, everything looks ok in it.
Try using the -v option to get more output about whats going on. Also, try

lilo -v -C /etc/lilo.conf

and see if that helps. Another one to try before you chroot is

lilo -v -r /mnt/sysimage