On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 01:19:24PM -0500, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

> I'm upgrading to glibc 2.2.4-27 (including the usual -common and
> -devel; I don't use -profile).  In fact I have it running now.  rpm
> --verify reports all three are installed fine.
>
> However, if I try to reinstall glibc using "rpm -U --replacepkgs
> glibc-2.2.4-27.i386.rpm" I get "% post scriptlet failed", and if I try
> -common I get "% pre scriptlet failed".  When the first, at least,
> happens, *everything* stops working (well, presumably every program
> that depends on the glibc dynamic library; in fact a couple of
> staticly linked programs I found do still run).

[snip]

> I'm running now, but I believe my next upgrade will fail in the same
> way, so I'd really like to figure out WTF is going on and fix it.
> Anybody got a spare clue?

Yes, I suspect you're using --nodeps and/or --force somewhere, that's
a bad idea, instead you should use apt, or up2date to upgrade all of
the packages that depend on $XYZ version of glibc at the same time.

Also:
rpm -q glibc
glibc-2.2.5-37

that's the latest release for 7.3, what are you running?