I'm dealing with an upgrade gone bad, actually, and I don't exactly
know *how* it went bad.

I'm upgrading to glibc 2.2.4-27 (including the usual -common and
-devel; I don't use -profile).  In fact I have it running now.  rpm
--verify reports all three are installed fine.

However, if I try to reinstall glibc using "rpm -U --replacepkgs
glibc-2.2.4-27.i386.rpm" I get "% post scriptlet failed", and if I try
-common I get "% pre scriptlet failed".  When the first, at least,
happens, *everything* stops working (well, presumably every program
that depends on the glibc dynamic library; in fact a couple of
staticly linked programs I found do still run).

I've been able to fix it by copying the glibc files from my alternate
root partition into my main one.  Things then work, until I try to do
an rpm install again.  (And note that rpm verifies the install is
good).

I've looked for files and directories set immutable with chattr.  I
definitely have some around, but I think I've found them all and
removed them (lsattr -R <various directories> | grep -- -i- found some
I'd forgotten, and I fixed them too even if they don't look
glibc-related).

Booting from my altroot, or from the CD in rescue mode, and using rpm
with --root to reference my main root gets the same errors I get when
running under a normal boot.

I'm running now, but I believe my next upgrade will fail in the same
way, so I'd really like to figure out WTF is going on and fix it.
Anybody got a spare clue?
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net  /  New TMDA anti-spam in test
 John Dyer-Bennet 1915-2002 Memorial Site http://john.dyer-bennet.net