what about pppoe? clients ship for mac os, windows foo, linux, *BSD.
the session terminates on an access concentrator and away you go.  or
... what about using IPSec to force the users to register to a IPSec
concentrator and only routing traffic through the access concentrator.

this is a well known issue that's been addressed with any number of
scalable solutions available on the market today.

when last we saw our hero (Monday, Aug 05, 2002),
 Mike Hicks was madly tapping out:

steve ulrich                       sulrich at botwerks.org
PGP: 8D0B 0EE9 E700 A6CF ABA7  AE5F 4FD4 07C9 133B FAFC