In message <1027612760.4053.36.camel at yafa>, "Samir M. Nassar" writes:
> I had spent about 6 months trying to get Direct Rendering working for
> my voodoo3 (RH 7.2 and RH 7.3) without any luck
> Solution: Make sure you are not using the i386 kernels. (2.4.18-3 and
> 2.4.18-5 for RH 7.3) Get the i586 kernel (kernel-2.4.18-5.i586.rpm)

This actually impacts more than just DRM.  There are many more features
to the newer motherboards and processors that get ignored by a kernel
compiled for the 386.  A co-worker of mine ran memtest on a PIV 800MHz
and compared it against a newly installed Athlon XP +22k.  The PIV
kicked the Athlon's butt in overall memory bandwidth (rw/etc.).  Why?
The Athlon was running a 386 kernel and the PIV was running a 686
kernel.  This is a very simple example w/o any specifics, but I'm sure
if you were more scientific about it, you would see similar results.

The conclusion we've made is that whenever possible, run an optimized
kernel.  Optimizing the software may not be as important in a general,
every-day use, but when doing something highly mathematical,
optimization couldn't hurt.  Optimizing the kernel, however, will bring
you the BULK of the performance enhancements that faster processors
provide you.  Run the 386 kernel, and it's like trying to run with a
sprinter's parachute tied behind you.

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie
Key fingerprint = B4AB D627 9CBD 687E 7A31  1950 0CC7 0B18 206C 5AFD