On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 10:06:27PM -0500, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
> Dan Bernstein is is of course an UberGeek

Yes he is. ;-)

> Meanwhile, qmail is small, fast, and secure.  Compare sizes, in
> particular, the alternatives Chad offers.  Even assuming that
> Wietse, say, wrote as good code as Dan did (seems a reasonable
> assumption), the smaller quantity and the clean functional
> partitioning should give

... I think we missed the rest of your message.  Regardless, it would
be nice to see a non-biased, objective comparison of the available
alternatives.  Included in the comparison should be size,
architectural differences, security features, advantages,
disadvantages, configurability, customizability, volume capacity,
memory profiles, system load, etc.

I know of at least one large-volume installation that uses postfix:
Vector Internet Services.  We are fairly low volume at the IMA, so
postfix may be a bit of an overkill, but it scales well for any size
installation.  Obviously, it is my MTA of choice.

I know of many others that still use sendmail religiously (i.e. Real
Time, the U of MN, etc.).  I believe you can purchase a commercial
version of Sendmail with a really cool GUI to configure it plus the
support/help line.

I only know of a few qmail installations, but I remember when it was
first started catching on in popularity years ago.  Many of my friends
that did use have since switched to exim or postfix.

Exim has gained in popularity, since it became the default MTA for
Debian (also small, secure, and easy to configure).  I believe it is
Idiot Ben's MTA of choice.

In any case, you wouldn't go wrong to install any of the ones
mentioned in this thread.  Each one brings to the table it's own
quirks and concerns.  Good luck!

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie