I've had this problem with my nvidia ge4 ti.  I'm running gentoo, and
people in the forums have said that this problem revolves around what
framebuffer you've chosen.  Apparently, people have had luck with just
enabling the VESA framebuffer, nothing else.  You could give that a
shot, maybe it'd work... I don't know myself, haven't tried it yet.

david