It sounds like you should read the networking HOWTO. The part about name
resolution is at http://www.ibiblio.org/mdw/HOWTO/Net-HOWTO/x413.html

Basically when you give a machine a name it needs to resolve that to an IP
address. It has a couple of places where it can find that information. The
first is in its /etc/hosts file. If the machine you are trying to ping is
in your computer's /etc/hosts file it will resolve the name. Note that the
/etc/hosts file has to be on the computer you are pinging /from/. If the
computer name is not in the hosts file, the computer will check its DNS
servers. You probably have DNS set to your ISP's DNS servers. You ISP does
not have DNS information for the computers at your house, so your computer
will not be able to resolve the name from DNS.

If you have a small network then keeping hosts files up to date isn't such
a large task. The larger your network gets, however, the easier it is to
have a DNS server.

One outlet for DNS service that I recommend is EveryDNS, at
www.everydns.net. You set up DNS for your network there for free.

Read that networking howto though. It's good to get a firm understanding on
how all of it works.

Good luck!

Erik