On Sun, Apr 28, 2002 at 11:34:42PM -0500, Mike Hicks wrote:
> Lotus Notes sucks[*].  Every time I come near it, I get the feeling I'm
> dealing with Evil Incarnate.  That's worse than I feel when I have to
> use Windows.  Still, it's the mail system in use where I work.
>
> Considering the main alternative available that has a comparable feature
> set (Exchange and Outlook) and it's associated virii and other baggage,
> a person is forced to basically think, "well, it could be worse."
>
> So, I'm curious, is there anything out there that takes the good
> features of these programs (calendaring and other `groupware' features)
> and integrates a solid e-mail system that won't lock you in to a
> particular platform?  I suppose I'm dreaming to think there's a
> possibility...

Well, I once worked at a place that used Netscape Suitespot for their
email and calendering.  It worked pretty well, since we were fairly
heterogeneous, platform wise (Windows, Linux and Solaris - this was a java
devel shop).  As far as I know, this suite is now called iPlanet or some
such.  I haven't looked up on it in a couple of years....

Gabe
Gabe Turner                                             gabe at msi.umn.edu
SGI Origin Systems Administrator,
University of Minnesota Supercomputing Institute
 for Digital Simulation and Advanced Computation         www.msi.umn.edu