Lotus Notes sucks[*].  Every time I come near it, I get the feeling I'm
dealing with Evil Incarnate.  That's worse than I feel when I have to
use Windows.  Still, it's the mail system in use where I work.

Considering the main alternative available that has a comparable feature
set (Exchange and Outlook) and it's associated virii and other baggage,
a person is forced to basically think, "well, it could be worse."

So, I'm curious, is there anything out there that takes the good
features of these programs (calendaring and other `groupware' features)
and integrates a solid e-mail system that won't lock you in to a
particular platform?  I suppose I'm dreaming to think there's a
possibility...

A reminder that I'm talking about Windows clients, though anything goes
on the server side.  Compatability with standard protocols so other
platforms can at least minimally communicate is obviously something that
would be good..

[*] Some reasons why Lotus Notes sucks:
  - No ability to thread messages (tree view)
  - Breaks message threading in other people's mailers by not including
    `In-Reply-To' headers or similar
  - No ability to properly quote messages - no way to automatically
    insert '> ' or similar before quoted text
  - Enforcement of bad mailing behavior - a reply goes above the
    original message, which is poorly separated from the new text..
    a good example here:
      http://k-lug.org/pipermail/klug/2000-July/005974.html

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   Immigration is the
/ \/ \(_)| ' // ._\  / - \(_)/ ./| ' /(__   sincerest form of flattery.