To the best of my knowledge:

| 1. What files, if any, does the hostname command write to?  I couldn't
| find any it wrote to.

None. When setting the host name it reads the file specified with the
-F/--file option.

| 2. What programs, if any, look at the information the hostname command
| gives?

Shell scripts mostly. Compile stuff would most likely use the
gethostname function directly.

| 3. When would you want to use the hostname command?

In a script to get the hostname.  If you're changing the hostname, and on
boot to set the hostname. Man hostname for other uses.

Andrew S. Zbikowski | http://www.ringworld.org
"The irony is that Bill Gates claims to be making
a stable operating system and Linus Torvalds claims
to be trying to take over the world."