On Tue, Apr 23, 2002 at 02:01:12PM -0500, Amy Tanner (amy at real-time.com) wrote:
> When I change the hostname on my machine, and then try to open another
> window, I see this in my .xsession-errors:

> Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
>
> Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0
>

> But when I do an xauth list, I see an entry for the new hostname (as
> well as the old hostname).
>
> I know restarting X will fix everything, but is there a way to make
> everything work without restarting X?

I found my problem.  In addition to changing the hostname in /etc/hosts
and /etc/sysconfig/network, I also used the hostname command to set the
hostname.  That's what made X mad.  I don't understand why though.
Questions:

1. What files, if any, does the hostname command write to?  I couldn't
find any it wrote to.

2. What programs, if any, look at the information the hostname command
gives?

3. When would you want to use the hostname command?

Thanks.

--
Amy Tanner
amy at real-time.com