On Fri, Apr 12, 2002 at 12:06:05PM -0500, Joel Rosenberg wrote:
> On Friday 12 April 2002 11:49 am, nate at refried.org wrote:
> > attbi.com matches your cable modem MAC and the MAC of the computer
> > connected to it before giving you an IP.  You have to tell them each
> > time you change one of those.
>
> That is, as far as I can tell, an argument in favor of Roadrunner; if you
> mess with your system, you don't have to negotiate with them over a new MAC.

IMNSHO, everyone should have a firewall that they don't mess with.  If
you're swapping out network cards that often, you shouldn't be doing it
to the computer that connects to the cable modem.

I've changed the MAC address twice, and both times was really easy.  I
just use the online helpdesk chat system to change it before I make the
change.

> (Quibble:  the MAC address is that of the NIC card or other device
> that connects to the cable modem, not the computer.)

Believe it or not, they need the serial number and MAC of the cable
modem.  Then they'll ask you for the MAC of the NIC in your computer
that is connected to the cable modem.  I've changed NICs and I've
changed cable modems.  I know what they ask for.

Nate