On Friday 12 April 2002 11:49 am, nate at refried.org wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 12, 2002 at 11:27:06AM -0500, Scott Raun wrote:
> > How do they control that?  How do they limit 3 DHCP IP's to a
> > household?  The only way I can think of is to limit them by MAC.
>
> attbi.com matches your cable modem MAC and the MAC of the computer
> connected to it before giving you an IP.  You have to tell them each
> time you change one of those.

That is, as far as I can tell, an argument in favor of Roadrunner; if you
mess with your system, you don't have to negotiate with them over a new MAC.

That said, if you're using one of the dedicated router/firewall boxes, you're
probably not going to be changing the MAC, which will be of the
router/firewall box, rather than the computer.  (Quibble:  the MAC address is
that of the NIC card or other device that connects to the cable modem, not
the computer.)