On Thu, Apr 11, 2002 at 12:11:54PM -0500, Amy Tanner (amy at real-time.com) wrote:
> I'm pretty sure I've run into this problem before but have never found
> an elegant way to solve it.  I have a RH 7.1 box with openssl-0.9.6-9 on
> it.  I want to upgrade to the latest php (php-4.1.2-5) but it requires
> libcrypto.so.2 and libssl.so.2.  When I search on rpmfind.net I see that
> openssl-0.9.6b-8 provides both of these.  However, if I try to upgrade
> openssl, it warns me of a bunch of apps that require libcrypto.so.1 and
> libssl.so.1 so the upgrade fails.  Running up2date on that box indicates
> openssl is up-to-date.
>
> 1. How can I solve this problem?  Other than installing with a --nodeps
> and hoping nothing breaks...

Found the solution.  In addition to upgrading openssl-0.9.6b-8, I had to
install openssl096-0.9.6-6 which is a backwards-compatibility library,
allowing packages requiring libcrypto.so.1 to work properly.

I still am disappointed that RH's up2date service does not provide
updated packages for php.  But, I guess for only $60/year...

--
Amy Tanner
amy at real-time.com