I'm pretty sure I've run into this problem before but have never found
an elegant way to solve it.  I have a RH 7.1 box with openssl-0.9.6-9 on
it.  I want to upgrade to the latest php (php-4.1.2-5) but it requires
libcrypto.so.2 and libssl.so.2.  When I search on rpmfind.net I see that
openssl-0.9.6b-8 provides both of these.  However, if I try to upgrade
openssl, it warns me of a bunch of apps that require libcrypto.so.1 and
libssl.so.1 so the upgrade fails.  Running up2date on that box indicates
openssl is up-to-date.

1. How can I solve this problem?  Other than installing with a --nodeps
and hoping nothing breaks...

2. Why does this happen so often, particularly with openssl?

3. Which version is newer: openssl-0.9.6b-8 or openssl-0.9.6-9 ?  When I
look at redhat's RHN site for system updates, a 7.2 box will list
openssl-0.9.6b-8 but a 7.1 box will list openssl-0.9.6-9 as being the
most current.

4. When, if ever, does RedHat update its RPMs available with up2date?  I
see php-4.1.2 has been out for awhile but RedHat provides only
php-4.0.6-15.

Thanks :)
--
Amy Tanner