> as for the scroll lock key: try this in console
> type something, press the scrolllock key (light goes on) and type some
> more... notice something? i have yet to find a usefullness for this though

You mean locking scrolling? Thats what scroll lock is supposed to do. ;P

I had pause set to call xscreensaver-command -lock, and the screensaver
set to this script:

#!/bin/sh
sleep 3
while true; do xset dpms force off; sleep 60; done

Which shuts off my monitors and keeps them off. Whenever I leave my
computer for and extended period I just hit pause and it locks the
console and turns off the monitors. (Multihead, don'tcha know...)