On Tue, 2 Apr 2002, Peter Clark wrote:

> come to think of it, there are other dead keys, such as Print Screen/SysRq,
> Scroll Lock, and Pause/Break. Do any of you have creative/useful ideas for
> better use of the keys?

the print screen/SysRq is a very important key, i would not remap it if my
life depended on it, why? because it is magic...

thats right, the Magic SysRq key in combination with ALT and certain
letters can do magic to a kernel that is all but dead, read up on it in
the kernel documentation, but here is a quickie:
Alt-SysRq-S  -  this is an emergency HDD sync tool,
Alt-SysRq-U  -  this is an emergency HDD RO-remounter
and ALT-SysRq-B  -  this resets the computer

as for the scroll lock key: try this in console
type something, press the scrolllock key (light goes on) and type some
more... notice something? i have yet to find a usefullness for this though

and as for Break, i beliece you can send a Ctrl-Break and it is similar as
Ctrl-C... but i am not certain on this

 -munir