I have all the components I need to build a cool new
computer, except for a case (this will become important in a
moment).  I've put all the pieces together, but without the
case (told you) there isn't a power on button!  I've found
that there is a small control block with connectors for
things like power LED, reset switch, etc.  If I short the
two power switch pins momentarily the fans start spinning,
and the unit clearly has power.  BUT nothing happens.

I'm not used to ATX power setups, so I'm wondering if just
shorting the power pins for a moment is the right approach,
or should I keep them connected for as long as I want the
machine on, or am I barking up the wrong tree?  And this
will become on topic, because once it works it gets a shiny
new copy of Mandrake 8.2!

Cheers, Paul