On Thu, Apr 04, 2002 at 07:38:30PM -0600, Clay Fandre wrote:
> I'd suggest using keychain. It automatically takes care of all of this
> for you.
> http://www.gentoo.org/projects/keychain/

Hmm...  Why not just use the shell script? ;-)  Seriously, do I need to
add yet another piece of software to my system???  I'm going to assume
that keychain does lots of other very neat and blinky things, and there
may actually be some need served by this software, but in my case, all I
want is ssh-agent to be started and for all of my sessions (ssh, X, and
console...all at the same time...) to use it. (I can't really comment on
the software because www.gentoo.org is unreachable at this time -- Fri
Apr  5 09:23:53 CST 2002).

As far as the use-ssh-agent option that someone suggested for Debian's
Xsession...  Good suggestion, really.  What if I don't use X?  Kinda
makes it a bit useless for a ssh session. ;-)

There is one improvement I could make to that little BASH snippet.  I
could check for an existing environment variable before checking for
that little .ssh-agent.$host file I created.  If SSH_AGENT_PID exists
and is populated, I could check for that PID instead of using the one in
the file.  That way Debian's little use-ssh-agent efforts won't be
wasted.

Anyway, back to work.

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie