On Sat, 2002-04-06 at 12:14, Gerry wrote:
> Joel,
> Okay I'm totally confused.  When pine tried to read your message with the gpg
> filters, it gave the message below.  (I've intentionally not trimmed the
> quoted message for completeness).
>
> How would I find your public key?  gpg couldn't find it on the two
> keyservers I tried, (wwwkeys.pgp and www.keyserver.net).  Is the only way to
> get it to ask you?

Joel just needs to publish his key, that's all. Or, if he provides a
link in his messages (like I do), then you can download it directly and
import it into your keyring.

> AND, an even bigger problem for me is that your message worked fine with pine
> in that pine actually tried to figure out the signature.  Messages where the
> body and the signature are both attachments (like Brian Hicks') don't work.
> <sigh>.

Incidentally, I noticed that Sylpheed is missing a MIME Content-Type
parameter when attaching a digital signature. If you look at the full
headers of my message, you will see that my Content-Type looks something
like this:

protocol="application/pgp-signature"; boundary="=-ytxrsyoHFdreMw1A1q18"

Sylpheed generates a similar Content-Type, but it is missing the
'micalg=<something>;' parameter. According to the PGP-MIME RFC (I don't
recall the number off-hand, but I found it by Googling MIME and micalg),
this is a required parameter for digital signatures attached to email.
This parameter means "Message Integrity Check ALGorhythm", and in my
message the specified algorhythm is "pgp-sha1". So Sylpheed, apparently,
is doing it wrong. Thankfully, Evolution handles it anyway, perhaps by
trying one or more common algorhythms if none are specified.

I just thought it was interesting.

--
Dave Sherman                          Beware the wrath of dragons,
MCSE, MCSA, CCNA                        for you are crunchy,