* Bob Tanner <tanner at real-time.com> [010930 22:14]:
> I really wish the little ISPs could offer service via cable. With Excite at Home
> going to AT&T at fire-sales prices, cable modems are going the way of telcos.

Excite at Home was majority owned by AT&T anyhow?

If it was, there wasn't much anyone else could contribute to the
situation that would cause anything else to happen.

I'm just hoping it sweetens the deal enough that Cox doesn't buy AT&T.
Theres a realy scary empire.  At least AT&T/mediaone systems are
upgraded.  Cox isn't giving a shit about 'digital' because they just
want to make the most $$ per analog video user to keep their
shareholders happy because they live in regulation/monopoly.

I'm decently impressed at what Mediaone/AT&T accomplished so far.  I
really hope it doesn't get bought out by some backwards thinking
company.

I'm less worried about AT&T than Qwest or others too.

I could see a method for ISP's to provide service, but they wouldn't be
allowed to do the hardware and transport side of the deal, just
something along the lines vaguely like frame relay for the AT&T side.
ISP's would beable to handle from there onward to the internet.

Kind of like 'megacentral' where its just a bit of ATM magic.  The scary
thing is that this might lead to a new league of 'transport serivces'
where we dont actually buy voice or internet from our wire provider, but
bits and channels, and then buy voice/internet/data/etc from either the
same provider or others.  Sprint ION originally had that concept (now
its a glorafied DSL thing).  It would be nice though, especially if you
could arrange arbatrary data pipes between points (for money, of course)

--
Scott Dier <dieman at ringworld.org> <sdier at debian.org>
http://www.ringworld.org/  #linuxos at irc.openprojects.net

"History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of
urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure."
		- Justice Thurgood Marshall (1989)