>Does anyone know where I can find sources or binaries

>(preferably sources) of shell based Linux games?

Excellent!   You can't be a true Unix Geek without
playing Rogue.  And I'm sure Wally the Wonder Badger
would like to have a bit of company ;)

My personal favorite is Omega - although the first
prototypical First Person Shooter, hack, certainly is
on the list.

The really cool thing about tty based games, is that
it illustrates that it's not just fancy graphics and
sound that makes a game.  (I'm not knockin' em - but
there's a reason people still play chess or Scrabble.)

Anyhow, here you go:
ftp://ftp.uu.net/usenet/comp.sources.games/

On a less prostelyzing note, the other comp.sources
groups are there, too.  comp.sources.unix is a great
place to find other useful utilities.

Cheers-
  -Mike

(And remember, all good things come from Usenet.)