Cotton Swab!

Mandrake 8.0 was very flaky in my experience.  Lot's of tweaking to get
everything working right, and the installer SUCKED because it installed
things I didn't want, and didn't install some things I checked.  I switched
back to 7.2 because 8.0 was so flaky.

8.1 looks like it's gotten the install right this time.  It comes with
Koffice 1.1, Kde 2.2.1, kernel 2.4.8 with patches that add support for 4
different journaling filesystems (XFS, JFS, ReiserFS, and ext3).  Those are
the major highlights of it.  It's much more polished than previous releases
too.  It's definitely worth upgrading if you are using your box as a
workstation, much more usable.

Jay