On Tuesday 25 September 2001 22:50, you wrote:
> Quoting Rodney Ray (Rodney.Ray at childrenshc.org):
> > I just got a cable modem with ATT and was wondering what people have for
> > firewall and router. I don't know much about this area so any help would
> > be good..... Is it ok to run both functions on the same box or is it
> > better to separate them? What is the best method of attack?
>
> Better to have seperate boxes. I think you get the router from ATT, you
> won't need that, but you have lots of choices for firewalls.
>
> Maybe tell us(?) me about what you what to do with your new link and people
> can give recommendations on what is best.

To echo Scott's comment on the "cable modem" from what I know about them they
function primarily as a protocol converter. The are a "tuned" cable receiver
to get the data channel and then they convert from that to ethernet. For
practical purposes the cable modem is a "router" in that there is an internal
address for the cable port that is on a different subnet than the DHCP
address you get assigned, or the statics you buy. I had a Samsung "powered by
Cisco IOS" but you couldn't get into the box to look at the config from the
ethernet side, only the cable side.

As far as simple configuration I've used the IPChains module for Webmin and
been very happy with it. The module provides three levels of rule setting
from a simple low, medium, high, lockout type setting to complete control of
the ipchains. The middle ground "template" level gives you enough control
without having to learn the IPChains syntax. Rumor is the author is working
on an iptables/netfilter version of the module.

--
Jack Ungerleider
jack at jacku.com