On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 11:01:18PM -0500, Florin Iucha wrote:
>On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 10:04:42PM -0500, Jared Burns wrote:
>I would love a decent classbrowser and an embedded vim. Just don't do it in
>java, ok?

I used to complain about java too. But then I was forced to install some
java stuff that used java2. I realized that I needed to be more familiar
with the care and feeding of java setups so I decided to install the jdk
and get some apps.

Since undertaking this trip into curiosity, i've come to the conclusion
that I'd rather use a java app than some gnome or kde based apps. I know
that it's not comparing apples to apples. But lets take for instance
accounting software. I wanted a nice GUI based checkbook register with some
added features. I looked to GNUCash. As I am installing GNUCash I noticed
it depends on all sorts of shit like guppi, gtkhtml, libxml2, gnumeric and
a whole host of other stuff. While I understand the benefits of the DLL
hell that the gnome and kde projects have plunged into from a programmers
point of view, for the guy who just wants one or two gnome / kde based apps
it just sucks.

Then I found moneydance. Installing it was as simple as utarring it to
/usr/local and running the damn thing. If you chose not to instlal the JDK
itself you could download a larger tarball that has it all and you're done.

Sure it takes a while to startup, and each new app requires another JVM but
hey, RAM is cheap these days. And the apps work great.

So all in all I've decided java's not so bad. In fact, i've even taken to
trying to learn how to write a little java and I've found I kinda like it.
It's a good vehicle for a non-programmer like me to try and learn a little
bit about programming.

--
Ben Lutgens
Sistina Software Inc.

"In the war against terrorism, there are no rear lines. We're all on the
front lines" - William Cohen