Make that 4
Dan, I'm running the same setup as you (minus the Quake).  The White Dog
article is great, it helped me through my install.  Double check your steps
carefully!
1.  You have the additional RPMs such as "kernel source" installed?
2.  You are using Xfree 4?
3.  You edited the correct "Xfree86Config-4" file?
4.  Use the latest Nvidia drivers 1.0-1512  (1251 didn't work well for
me)  The RPM's work just fine.
5.  Don't install any Mesa RPMs after installing the Nvidia drivers.  Some
programs need Mesa files to run, Just     be sure to install these first!