Hola.

I feel sort of bad about sending a question to the list so soon after
discovering/joining it, but I really hosed myself.

In my efforts to get Quake3 running, I wrecked my ability to startx from
runlevel 3 as anyone but root. I can still use my machine by setting the
default runlevel to 5, so I'm not completely out of business. However the
Quake discussion boards all indicate that there's some wierd incompatibility
between having your default runlevel set to 5 in Mandrake 8.0 and running
Quake3, so it'd be nice to fix this.

The errors I get when I try "startx" are:
/usr/X11R6/bin/startx: xauth: command not found
/usr/X11R6/bin/startx: xauth: command not found
/usr/X11R6/bin/startx: exec: xinit: not found

On the suggestion of someone on a bulletin board, I added
"PATH=/usr/X11R6/bin" to the top of my startx script and that got me further
somehow. Now I get spammed with a bunch of the usual output and my monitor
goes so far as to switch resolutions, but then I get dumped back to the
console where I'm greeted by the following:
sh: cat: command not found
/etc/X11/Xsession: which: command not found
/etc/X11/Xsession: which: command not found
/etc/X11/xinit.d/imwheel: which: command not found
/etc/X11/xinit.d/Mod_Meta_L_Disable: grep: command not found
/etc/X11/Xsession: exec: sh: not found

waiting for X server to shut down

The most noteworthy thing I did before this started happening was to
build/install NVidia drivers following instructions from
www.littlewhitedog.com/reviews_other_00022.asp.

If someone has any insight on this, you'd make my day.

Now that I'm done spouting my problems, I suppose a brief introduction is in
order. My name's Jared Burns. I just moved to Bloomington in June. I came to
the Twin Cities from Pennsylvania with my new (two weeks) wife to take a job
with Object Technology International, a subsidiary of IBM. OTI does a good
deal of embedded and IDE programming. Our IDE history includes ENVY
Smalltalk, Visual Age for Java, and Visual Age MicroEdition. Our best known
employee is Erich Gamma, of the famed Gang of Four. Our current work is on a
Java framework/IDE called Eclipse, which is/will be (it hasn't been made
entirely public yet) free and open source. I currently run Mandrake 8.0 at
home and at work.

I look forward to meeting everyone at the next meeting.

Thanks,
- Jared