I would like to add a few observations that i have on NIS and Shadow passwords...

Fist of all, Solaris does support Shadow password, the reason i know this is because a "System Administrator" was complaining that he couldnt see the hashed passwords in the passwd file, he didnt like the way shadows worked...

also concerning NIS and shadows is that root on any machine(does not have to be yours) connected to the network can retrieve the hashed shadow file over NIS. a very grave security flaw.

 -munir
>>> Jay Kline <jay at slushpupie.com> 09/19/01 11:38 AM >>>
NIS Is a method of using the same file on multiple machines.  You can set it
up to use any file you want. A common address book, the /etc/hosts file, or
whatever.  It was intended for /etc/hosts and /etc/passwd originally, but
takes no real changes to support other files.  The trick is only in the
programs that use the files. They have to know to ask for the file, or you
have to manually do it.  I worked someplace that did the address book file,
and on boot up it grabed the file from the network, and just used cat to
place it in a file.  It was not updated emediatly like the passwd file was,
but you just had to re-fetch it to get an update.  Some people just put it in
a daily cron job since it didnt update too often.

Jay

--
Jay Kline
list at slushpupie.com
http://www.slushpupie.com
--
The difference between a Miracl and a Fact is exactly the difference
between a mermaid and a seal.