On Wed, Sep 19, 2001 at 08:51:38AM -0500, Jay Kline wrote:
> I am not sure their method of "shadowing" passwords would be compatible with
> Linux.  Though it would be an intersting experiment.  But I have always been
> told when doing NIS, shadow is bad.  Not sure if there was a technical
> reason, or just methodology.

Shadow isn't bad at all.  If you can do it, do it.  For example, we have an
NIS domain consisting entirely of Linux boxen, and we use a shadow map
there.  If you want NIS across platforms, especially commercial UNIX,
forget about it.

Gabe
Gabe Turner                                             gabe at msi.umn.edu
SGI Origin Systems Administrator,
University of Minnesota Supercomputing Institute
 for Digital Simulation and Advanced Computation         www.msi.umn.edu